Server - planned hardware changes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Server - planned hardware changes

Dear Community,

I will change the server hardware within the next days. For this reason it's possible that the game will be in maintenance for some hours when the database will be moved to the new server.
      More information's about this downtime will be revealed when I have an exact date for the database movement.

Technical information's: ( for those who are interested in such informations)
      At the moment there are a lot services running on the current server, stealing a lot performance. ( Mailserver, Monitoring etc ) The new server should stay clean, so I will rent an virtual server for the mail service and all the other services which steal performance .. A good virtual server for this propose cost 7,85€ with 2 virtual cores, 4GB guaranteed and 8GB burst RAM ... That is more than enough power for mail and the other side jobs of the current server. The game and board will move to an dedicated root server. This will have an Intel Core I7-3770 CPU ( cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=I…7-3770+%40+3.40GHz&id=896 ) and 32 GB RAM total. For comparison: The current server is equiped with an Intel Core I7-930 CPU ( cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=I…i7+930+%40+2.80GHz&id=835 ) and 48 GB RAM total. So with the new server the RAM will be downgraded a bit ( never used all of the current RAM ) and the CPU will be upgraded 8)
      Benchmark: 5220 (current) to 9350 ( new CPU )

For protocol: current CPU Average load is 33% with peaks up to 100% =O

Software updates / changes:
      The current server still use Debian 7 ( wheezy ) as Operating System. This will be upgraded to to Debian 8 ( jessie ) with the new Server.
      Also PHP ( programming language of the game ) will be updated to php 5.6 ( current 5.4 ) and I will switch from apache 2 to nginx as Webserver. :thumbsup:

Money:
      current server: ~66€ / month
      New Server: 39€ / month
      vServer: 7,85€ / month

So i will save around 20€ per month with this change, having a better performing Server, with up to date software and an better infrastructure because of the split into vServer and root server. :thumbup:
      The only negative side effect is, that there are now two servers I had to take care about safety and updates and that the game will have a short downtime for the database movement.

Best regards
      Danny